Get a taste of spring with this exclusive recipe of our Megu.
Ingredients for 4 persons
16 identical green asparagus
16 wooden skewers
100 g flour
Oil for deep frying
400 ml ready Tempura dough
200 g Japanese rice crackers (Kaki No Tane), crumbled
1. Prep the asparagus: Rinse the asparagus. Cut all in the same length of around 14 cm. Remove any tough, thick, or white ends by snapping them off or cutting them off with a sharp knife, being careful not to accidentally break the tender tips.
2. Prep the rice cracker mixture: Pour the rice crackers into a large resealable plastic bag, gently press any excess air out, and seal securely. Crumble the crackers with your hands. Put in a bowl.
3. Set up the breading station: Line up 3 rimmed dishes or containers that are the same length as the asparagus spears. Pour the flour into the first. Add the tempura dough to the second dish and have the cracker mixture ready in the third.
4. Bread the asparagus: Place 3 to 4 spears at a time into the flour and turn to coat on all sides. Lift a spear out of the flour and, holding it over the dish, and gently pat off any excess. Next, dip the spear into the Tempura mixture without covering the tip. Immediately place it into the rice cracker crumble and turn to coat completely on all sides, again patting it gently so the mixture holds and the tips are not broken.
5. Put in a deep fryer (or pan with hot oil) for about 4 – 5 minutes until crisp. Be careful not to add too many at a time.
6. Put the fried asparagus on a kitchen paper. Place the skewer inside the ends until shortly before the tips.
7. Place the asparagus skewers in a glass or other suitable holder and serve with lemon slices (to drizzle over the asparagus)